Have a question? We’ve compiled a list of our most frequently asked questions.

Our Students’ Union have a Facebook group you can join to meet other new students starting at the conservatoire each September; please email studentunion@leedsconservatoire.ac.uk for more information.

If you are moving into a Unite Students property such as Joseph Stones House, you can connect with your new flatmates using the MyUnite App (free to download from the App Store (iOS) or Google Play store).

If you live in Joseph Stones House, or any of the other private halls, you will generally get basic insurance cover as part of the deal – but we strongly advise that you insure your personal belongings, particularly if you will be bringing musical instruments, equipment, a computer etc. with you.
Endsleigh have policies designed for students at a reasonable cost, or you may get cover through your parent/guardian's house insurance.

If your house or flat is solely occupied by full-time students, no.

You can read about council tax exemption for students and apply online at the Leeds City Council website. If you need proof of your student status after registration, contact help@leedsconservatoire.ac.uk

If you watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV or use BBC iPlayer - online, on a TV, or on any device (even a laptop or phone), you will need a TV licence. If you are living in halls and you intend to have your own TV in your room, you must buy your own TV licence. If you are living in a shared house, you will need a TV licence to cover the house. Find out more at the TV Licencing website.

In order for you to receive your room keys, the first accommodation payment is normally required over the summer before registration (around the end of August/beginning of September). This is standard procedure by private accommodation companies.

As you will not receive your student loan until you have been registered by the conservatoire (registration triggers the payment system), ensure that you have enough money to cover your first accommodation payment and that you are not relying solely on your loan to pay it.

When arranging rented accommodation you will be expected to sign a contract and pay a deposit of no more than 5 weeks rent in most cases. This is refunded at the end of the rental period unless you have caused any damage or loss to fixtures or furnishings or have unpaid rent.
As part of the Housing Act, deposits paid on Assured Shorthold Tenancies signed after April 2007 are protected. This scheme ensures good practice in deposit handling so that when a tenant pays a deposit and is entitled to receive it back, they can be assured this will happen. You can find more details on the Deposit Protection Scheme website.

Most rooms in shared houses are let on an Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreement, which will state that tenants are 'jointly and severally liable'. This expression means that all tenants are liable for the payment of all rents and all liabilities of each other that may fall on them during the tenancy, as well as for any breach of the agreement. So for example, if a tenant were to leave and not be replaced, you would still have to cover their share of the rent.
Whether you go through Unipol or look by yourself, be careful not to sign a contract unless you are sure you want to share with the other occupants, or you have checked that there actually are other people moving in to the house with you. It is extremely difficult to be released from a contract, whether in halls or shared houses, unless you can find someone to take over your room.

For international students who do not get a place in Joseph Stones House or One Mill Street, or prefer not to live there, it is advisable to use the services of Unipol.

An accommodation start-up fund worth £150 is available to applicants who have been receiving benefits or are estranged from their family. To make an application for funding from the scheme and to find out more, please visit the scholarships & bursaries page on our website.

Circumstances may occasionally arise where an applicant will be under 18 on entry to the conservatoire and in this situation,  advice will be sought from the Head of Student Support and Wellbeing to ensure that safeguarding obligations are met. It is important to be aware that there are very limited accommodation options available for younger applicants to consider.

It’s the responsibility of parents or guardians to ensure that the accommodation is suitable for your needs.

Please contact the accommodation team by email at accommodation@leedsconservatoire.ac.uk for signposting to accommodation options.

Watch our Accommodation FAQs Video



To get in touch with the Accommodation team you can: 

Email: accommodation@leedsconservatoire.ac.uk

Telephone: 0113 222 3411

Leeds City Guide

With a thriving music scene, an abundance of events, an eclectic cultural calendar and an ever-growing food and drink sector, we can safely say that life in Leeds is never dull.

Read our guide to Leeds
UoH-Logo.png (2) Conservatoires_Logo.png Partner_1.png AEC_Logo.png Roland_Logo.png prs-keychange-logo_red-blue_pantone-c (fine to use).png Luminate_Education_Group_Logo (small).png